Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Congenial-speak# 47

Protesting America from the Sidelines


When I first saw the clip of those Olympic winners in Mexico, fists in the air in 1968, I thought it was an anomaly. It was definitely incongruous to the spirit and purpose of the games. I agree it is hard to keep politics out of something that usually syncs up with the election cycle. Specifically in '68, when war, racial tension, economic despartiy commanded the year, the temptation to make an unexpected, perhaps inappropriately timed, unprecedented demonstration was great. The young fighter named Cassius Clay refused to fight in Vietnam in 1964. He was later stripped of his heavyweight title earned under the Muslim name Muhamed Ali. He was banned from boxing, as George Carlin said because he wouldn't kill people so the government said “we won't let you beat them up.” He sought conscientious objector, or CO, status. He was one of 170,000 who received such classification deferring them from service in Southeast Asia from 1960 to 1975. They were Jehovah wittiness, Mennonites, Quakers, and brethren. Yes Ali was a sports figure who eloquently articulated his cause publicly, but he was far from a random athlete on a podium raising a gloved fist like a sore thumb.

Standing during the Star Spangled Banner is just something I've done since I was a kid. I'm sure I did it at the one and only football game I saw at the Met Stadium when I was 10. I like the song, know the full story behind it, and feel it is the very least (maybe because I was never able to serve myself) I can do to express my respect and empathy for those who did serve our country. Yes, that's beginning with the War of 1812 (from which the song came) which was fought for America, without hyperbole. I think it is the idea of America, even if we find ourselves today as far from an ideal America as ever, that's on the table when that song is played. I like to feel proud once in a while. Not everything is political. Now, if a player did not agree with some policy in the NFL they might find a way to protest that. But could they jeopardize their career, their million$ salary? Would they do it? What do they risk not standing for the anthem? Trump might order them to get off their knees, and I think that is wrong. I think it is an odd, ultimately ineffective gesture that kind of mocks the first amendment right, but no one should be forced to do—or not do—anything, especially by an egocentric political opportunist like Trump. In fact, if I were on that unlevel playing field, I might not stand just to spite Trump, just (as if he needs anything) to make him angry.

So, maybe because I am on the left sidelines, I have mixed feelings about this. This is as dangerously close as I've ever come to agreeing with even the “in theory” part of a Trump view and I hate it. I can see where the athletes are coming from, I can see where Trump is coming from. But with him the reasons lack sincerity and at some point will benefit HIM. I hate to think America is dead to those protesters. Look at what it has done. All most people, on social media and the news, are discussing is if it's okay, whether it is acceptable way to protest. Is anyone talking race, the issue which the protest is supposed to address? Not that I see or hear. It amounts to shock value, kind of like when Abbie Hoffman was going to levitate the Pentagon. The demonstration there proceeding the levitation accomplished addressing opposition to Vietnam. I have to applaud Hoffman's theater though, his chutzpah and mischegas (wackiness). In his case, however, he was alone, he was not on a team on national TV on a stadium field, perhaps mocking what people have been taught to do since they were kids. To me it is on the very low end of political protests, not quite in the same league as enduring n----- hurled at you a million times or not getting up to give up a seat on a bus.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A bed-ridden hacker is bound to cough

I woke up November 9, 2016 to see my visibly upset wife. I never shed a tear for Clinton's loss and its consequence. I was info...