Sunday, April 9, 2017

Congenial-speak #15

Dropping on the Run



Leaves tumbled. They sounded crisp and crunched at my heels. Harvest moons threatened my path, approaching the storied house on my appointed round, my first literature drop. I'd seen many before, legs at shoes of family, friends and foes. Some were the DFL associates, the loyals who long ago threw their time to have a measured shot at stopping Lyndon Johnson in his tracks and bringing a decisive end to the Vietnam War. My role models had been “clean for Gene” McCarthy, the Minnesota Senator who upset the favorites.





A house in back of ours, on Aldrich Avenue, was rumored to be haunted. It was down the block and behind our neighbors a few doors down. One walked to a typical rambler with a normal smiling suburban housewife answering the door, and went though the house into the backyard. Within yards, a warp was sustained, an altering of dimension and security—perhaps reality. Windows were always filled with cobwebs in the frames, the wood partitions that played tricks on young eyes. It was called the tree-house and stories of mental instability were known to have circled the neighborhood. The from of the house, facing Lyndale Avenue, had a dirt yard that suddenly grew into a great unkempt lawn. In the middle was a tall old oak tree. Its roots rumbled through the grounds like thick muscles of sanity. They were mossed and buried in many season's leaves. From the street tall grass hid the rue nature of the house, the lure of eccentric appeal it could have to a kid.





My first candidates were likely the local and state people. They were Don Fraser and Wendell Anderson. They were Joan Growe and Warren Spannus. They were people who I might someday see face o face. State legislators like Shirley Hokanson were talked about a lot around my house, and it is likely I campaigned for her. I went though our first neighborhood, though, with innocence, with a curiosity to do what I'd seen my folks do. I was four or five and bundles of DFL literature were delivered to our house. It was as though everyone at the top knew the bottom, the grassroots, and Barbara Amram knew things grew from the bottom up—not the top down. That was the DFL way, it was the mainstay of our fray. It was known that, as 3rd district chairwoman, Amram would get the word out, either by phone or in print.





When I stood on my own two feet, before I crawled, I wanted to help get the DFL message out. I guess I was tired of just watching and listening,learning and guessing which way the answers waved. I got in the act. My small packet of literature was parceled out to me, thoughtfully ladled like a bowl of soup from a pot bubbling with urgency, simmering with glues to one day yield a better society. I had my blocks, my quotas, which included that house of my design. I began at the next-door-neighbor and worked my way to more difficult territory. I advanced, door by politely listening door, to the lesser-known hermit houses, the curmudgeons who were most likely not planning to vote. I thought they still ought to know what's out there. They should in a democracy, even if they chose not to exercise their vote, have the opportunity to know how good their life could be.





I took my time, I skipped to houses, I dropped my materials between outer and inner-doors. Those were the air traps that I lifted, dropped literature to the bottom, and gently pushed shut. Some had a glass pane, some did not. Often I really hoped no one heard me, and I just ran away as though I'd left a flaming sack for them to see. By the end of my round my supply was getting low. I made sure I had enough for the tree-house. I felt, if anyone should know the candidates they should. This family of suburban dwellers on the fringe of status quo, this misunderstood mystery house was curious to me. Around its oak tree was a house, with ghosts or blanketed occupants, and any séance in my old neighborhood in Richfield most likely got its spirit power from it.





No comments:

Post a Comment

A bed-ridden hacker is bound to cough

I woke up November 9, 2016 to see my visibly upset wife. I never shed a tear for Clinton's loss and its consequence. I was info...