Tuesday, March 14, 2017

congenial-speak

Musing on the subtext of my political memoir Ten Years and Change: Growing up democratically I meandered my mind to discover the following story in its own right:




Shades of Yellow





Haziness toyed with me. I was hazed to days. It vexed me. During the summer of 1970, give or take a month, a sunny morning or a silhouette's shade, I woke often to see leaf shapes on my window shade. The walls were painted a soft blended yellow that gave the room a false sense of security. The room was mine and my sister's and fit at the east end of the house. The window above my sister's bed looked out to the backyard. She saw the garage and the alley, possibly the dog house and lilac bushes on the periphery. At the foot of my bed, nestled, inches from a closet, was the window that hatched my most malicious operations. It was the window to my five-year-old soul. It was the window through which I escaped a babysitter's valiant attempt at discipline, perhaps in practice for her anticipation of 20 years to impending motherhood. Its height and I were immeasurable, its width to me was discernible, with a wood grainy sill like soft tan sandpaper that invites one to touch it. My window was my first look to the world each day, our narrow Avenue of suburbia on which balls were thrown twixt blocks, within yards, to be caught in tan gloves that smelled like leather belts.





My older sister was deep in school competition. Central Elementary would feel my monster tiny feet cross its threshold that fall. With my new school supplies I'd cross past the heavy green doors. I was not wild about rules, and probably would have made an acceptable anarchist. (Although as may folks and the DFL proved, democracy works sometimes). I played by my own rules. Most kids do—or did. I look in to look out that window in my first, and last, shared bedroom. I look from my mind now and see that lawless five-year-old, that crew-cropped hatchet chopper of plants, that curious agent of bucolic upsets.





She had grown sunflowers to the left of my window. Susan took great pride in her class project, standing by her plants, nurturing them with love and water and the sunshine their name could not pull from the sky. She had the makings of a farmer, with her two years over me and inches and allegiance to the lessons of school and nature. She read directions. She took directions and, at age seven, believed the writers of those directions should never be questioned, least of all by her. She loved me like a biological brother, I loved her like a sister, but the reality was similar traits were more at odds than most siblings. I was adopted and it showed not only in appearances, but in actions. Most of the time, though, we found common ground. For the most part, we were peaceful and respected each other's space. I trusted her two years more of knowledge, time spent reading, doing math and things I never slowed down to do.





Mornings in Richfield, on our little slice of Aldrich Avenue, cardinals sang and crows screeched like orphaned banshees. I ruffled my tan fluffy blanket and sprang up in bed, anxious to unleash the mischievous possibilities a new day brings. Outside, an almost-still-born breeze commands the 6' sunflower to intrude out to my window pane...intrude out to my window pane...intrude out to my window pane...day after day, morning after morning, crow after murderous crow to feign what can and test how a kid's too sane. My sis slept in the trundle from under my bed, up-righted and on the other side of the room. It was on wheels and inched in unperceptive millimeters horizontally on the hardwood floor. Across its ends was also a spring, reaching, skimming the floor. She writhed and sent shock waves from end to end like a seismograph machine. A plot was a foot.





It was not vindication for a past offense. It was not jealousy. Maybe it was the intrusion on “my window,” my space in that mutually impaired room. And, perhaps if she had grown her sunflowers under her own window, if she had not left mine open to temptation, if she had not obscured the sun with brightness of yellow peddled black beehive patterns, I might not have ever been moved to destroy them. So all I can say is that resentment, politics, territory, imminent domains may have been working in subterranean realms.


It happened one August evening. The day had been hot and humid, the kind where the kids on the block, myself included, run down to the corner chasing the ice cream truck. In daylights the merry wind-up music tinkles and out of the last tiny hair in your ear, above play noise, the sound of drumsticks and ice cream sandwiches for sale perforates everything. My plot was thickening like the aversion to rules that conquered my mind. And like that sandwich in the August heat, it would soon melt with each hatchet chop. Dinner had just concluded and I passed on dessert, which itself raised suspicion. I slipped cat-like to my side of the room, grabbed the hatchet I had stashed earlier in the closet, opened the window just enough to my a clean break, and rolled into the night. I fell to the ground, narrowly missing the well that enclosed a basement window, and went to work. For a moment I stood and listened to the warm breeze, the crickets keeping time and, of course, the sways of the plants. My bearings held fast telling me I was between the bosom of my adoptive family and my neighbors and forgiveness could be found.





CHOP! CHOP! CHOP! .. . stalks of shrapnel flew in to the darkening space. I felled one stalk, hearing it rustle to earth like a dead luminary, a toppled idol that had dreamed past its boundaries. I felled a few more of the sunny tribe and went in for the big kill. Without hesitation I jackknifed my logistics and I was on top of that main leaf. I was looking down into our room. Nothing had changed. I was no bigger.


I aborted Operation Sunflower with the main flower head held high, its leaf trimmed, intact as well as any dignity five years can collect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A bed-ridden hacker is bound to cough

I woke up November 9, 2016 to see my visibly upset wife. I never shed a tear for Clinton's loss and its consequence. I was info...