Sunday, April 30, 2017

Congenial-speak #18

Musing on the subtext of my just released book, I meandered my mind to discover the following story in its own right:




International Intrigue (11/15/92)

Rome collapses for me in a day. I am in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong disposition. I see what I see and the writing on the wall appears to me. It's telling me to get out of Rome, make an about face to the train a return to from where I had come. The man dragging a cig was obviously suspected of drugs. This was zero tolerance as I had never seen. The two male police held the man while the woman thrust her knee to his jewels. He doubles over in pain, his face is twisted and they are barking orders to him sharply in verbose Italian. The man is cuffed and they pummel him more. He is a public spectacle and I am the horrified spectator. They are commissioned gladiators, beating a man because he's broken the stiff Italian drug laws. In the US possession of drugs is an offense, but distributing them is much, much worse. In this case the mere whiff of a cigarette draws attention to something a little foreign looking in its substantiate nature. The man, besides, looks ill, pre-occupied, more than a common Romanesque pedestrian should.

“The oblivious doobie, or smack—lit up

like the dogs wander a bit, pre-piss.

The blinding him brought a knee to

the groin.”

__Journal “Tripping '92”

We pull out of the station. My defeat at the Colosseum is shuffled through the great rectangular windows as speed mounts. Now I have a moment, a calm in which to consider the assault I just witnessed, the brutality that made me flee the scene like I was the next unsuspecting drug taker. I am dark and might pass as an Italian. Again the walk trips me in my tourist endeavors. The last thing I want is a night in an Italian jail. The man's face sticks in my mind. It is tearful, it is confessional, it is angered, it is assaulted, it is fearful. The female cop's knee extending up to his jewel box plays over in my mind. I want to get far from there and promise I will thank myself later for leaving Rome.

Zurich was nice. The Swiss seem to not make what everyone is up to a top priority. It is happy, industrial, proactive. In Italy small clusters, covens of cops amble the streets. They are light and cocky, cool in their secure government jobs with he smart uniform. They play games. They're sly boots and walk the market squares pretending to be lassie-fare, pinning on white-washed mimes a lack for a reason to care. I'm glad that they are there, overall. I did not trust that they would not eye me with the same suspicion of the man with the crushed jewels that a slow day gives. I don't get this read in Zurich at all. I can glean a lot from spending some time in a city's train station, the hauptbahnhoff. I can read a lot from a schedule.

“As the rope drew tight his armband strapped its growth.

The needle pushed in. As casual spoon-fed coke stayed on

rotted tables to snort, the heroine of Zurich clawed at her

face pleading to trace a fix about to explode.”

__from journal “Tripping '92”



I find myself in Needle park as I walk along the Zürichsee. Lake Zurich offers recreation other than shooting up, but I am mesmerized, curious, with a suburban innocence. I have never witnessed heroin being shot up, never observed the human rawness of the urgent end of a fix. I needed once to see the practiced connection, the euphoric reflection when veins surge and then are quickly tied to constrict. I wonder about the fate of these teens in Platzspitz Park, their success in willing it to be known as a drug taking haven.

At 22 year of age I have a few bong hits in college on my natural soft drug prove-that-I'm-not-a-tight-ass resume. Anything harder is dangerous, expensive, and I certainly don't need that monkey on my back. Ironically, I am living in a small efficiency apartment in a so-called, tempting, paradoxical “drug free zone” in downtown Minneapolis. Weed is sold on the streets, although it is stuff I would not smoke with a ten foot bong. Crack houses (“A Gentler Place” from my collection Finding me—and Them: Stories of Assimilation) stand, stately, deceptively dilapidated in their manner. They are the next stop as the junkie flys by my kitchen window, following red blinking taillights like they're profitable fire-flies. So I do have drugs accessible to me. I never see heroin but don't doubt that it's being shot in some vein. I decide not to fall into that culture and, aside from a pesky chewing tobacco habit I picked up on a backpacking trip, I have few monkeys. As reads in “A Gentler Place” I question the decisions that a junkie I meet makes in spite of what he can do that I cannot.

Tripping continues. I follow my bread crumbs back to the train station. Safe in the car, the bar section for weary and thirsty travelers, I slowly nurse a 12 ounce bottle of Hürlimann Gold. I begin to watch it foam in the bottle from the train. Its side to side motion rocks me to a high. I appreciate my more or less affection for beer and think how that may blur my interest, my ever having any conceivable desire to try harder stuff, to wind up with that zombie-like deadness of dependence I had just seen. A small man in a conductor's hat with a light blue shirt slides the door open.

“Passport please,” he says in a vaguely French sounding accent.

We are crossing the border into France. The accent will grow. I can measure our depth into a country by the strength and acuity of the accent. Dijon sounds nice, strong enough, but weak enough to pass without knowing the language, maybe not experience the full wrath of France-rude rumored to exist. Not my experience at all. I find people to be nice, much nicer than the Munichers or what I saw in Rome. Rain falls lightly on the rivers' convergence, the Suzon and the Ouche. Dijon lies on a plain along the eastern border of France. I watch people fan their umbrellas, offering me a seat as I am allowed to unburden myself again. I smile and they forgive my English. Sinking back in my chair I re-assess my trip. Right there, at a French cafe in the presence of blue collar Frenchmen on lunch-breaks, I pigeonhole my tripping.







No comments:

Post a Comment

A bed-ridden hacker is bound to cough

I woke up November 9, 2016 to see my visibly upset wife. I never shed a tear for Clinton's loss and its consequence. I was info...